Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Latest Rules Support  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print
ConstantBux - New PTC, focused on consistancy (Read 195156 times)
moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Re: ConstantBux - New PTC, focused on consistancy
Reply #285 - 30th Dec, 2013 at 7:08pm

ruicarlov wrote on 30th Dec, 2013 at 4:57pm:
Somehow I find it hard to believe a standard member would have the resources to pull that off. If they had, they probably would've been upgraded by now.

Still, you never know...

Edited:
Great, site's back up.

Maybe that is Buxhost's way of increasing sales.  Dont know

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #286 - 30th Dec, 2013 at 7:11pm

Wow.. I just got back from my offline job and read about this... ok.. I've just logged in the site right now and so far it all seems normal for me.

However if you noticed such a bandwidth increase then either someone is promoting ConstantBux at a pretty large scale probably using any hosted images on your site such as banners, splash pages etc. Images are the most usual reason for a crazy increase in bandwidth usage.

But fist things first.. you may need to know if too much traffic is received from one single computer or a group of computers.
Buxhost offers you some options to observe logged traffic so log in to your administration panel and check out the following :

1. Click on Website Statistics and then Visitors at the bottom of the left link list.

See how huge the change was during the last few days and below you can check if a specific country
stands out of the rest with very huge difference in the traffic amounts you are receiving from it..

2. Click on Traffic Log (back in the main menu) and click on "Download Log" in .txt format (it's much easier to read than excel).

Now scroll down to the days of the increased activity and try to notice if there is an IP that is repeatedly showing up many many times in a row or sth. You may need to spend some time on this to really find something interesting. If you spot any, then copy the whole content of the log file to word and search for that IP address. Word 2010 immediately lets you know how many occurencies have been found in the document. If you spot any one having a couple of tenths of thousands within a day or something then you probably have a suspect.

3. There are some blacklists of IP addreses from spammers you can also use spot if an IP belongs to a known spammer.
One of the best that I've used a lot for my forum is : http://www.stopforumspam.com/
If you enter any abusing IP address that is in their list and search for it, it will show you more details, related nicknames, emails and information on the spamming IP address etc.

Then after having such info collected you might want to check your site for a member associated with that IP address and contact them for some explanation regarding their activity. However they may be simply work Censored advertising your site which is actually good so don't rush to jump into conclusions.. but since there was not much of an increase in the number of total members of the site I don't think that would be the case this time.

Let me know if you find anything interesting or need help with something..

IP Logged

zanderpm

I love being here!

Reply #287 - 30th Dec, 2013 at 8:56pm

Wow, you've done your research.  Unfortunately, the site shows no spike in traffic, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the last couple days traffic.  Of course, I can't search hundreds or thousands of IPs, but I checked for the first few on the blacklist site and didn't come up with anything.

Support has confirmed that it is likely the banners.  I've brought the site back up temporarily to see what happens, but I'm probably going to end up taking the banners down, at least for a while, to be safe.  Sucks that that's necessary, but I think it's probably the best solution right now.  I'll be sure to save backups before I delete any.

Oh hey, couldn't I host the banners somewhere else?  It's not as good as having them on the site, but at least they'd still exist, and I wouldn't get charged for the bandwidth, right?

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #288 - 30th Dec, 2013 at 9:12pm

zanderpm wrote on 30th Dec, 2013 at 8:56pm:
Wow, you've done your research.  Unfortunately, the site shows no spike in traffic, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the last couple days traffic.  Of course, I can't search hundreds or thousands of IPs, but I checked for the first few on the blacklist site and didn't come up with anything.

Support has confirmed that it is likely the banners.  I've brought the site back up temporarily to see what happens, but I'm probably going to end up taking the banners down, at least for a while, to be safe.  Sucks that that's necessary, but I think it's probably the best solution right now.  I'll be sure to save backups before I delete any.

Oh hey, couldn't I host the banners somewhere else?  It's not as good as having them on the site, but at least they'd still exist, and I wouldn't get charged for the bandwidth, right?

But really, why doesn't it show up in the traffic logs.. how can you know how much of the bandwidth you have spent.. if it doesn't?!?
It makes no sense..

ImageShack is the way... I've never had any bandwidth problems with them ever.. and I'm sure I'm wasting a few hundreds of GBs from their bandwidth per month..

One problem is that you need to make an announcement before doing changes with the banners.
If promoters are using them in campaigns.. then simply removing them will kill their investments..
You need to publish your new banner links and leave them sometime to make the appropriate changes
in order not to have to face their wrath of frustration later.. Smiley

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #289 - 30th Dec, 2013 at 9:21pm

I wonder if banners was really the cause. I know you had to remove banner hosting from ptcbox ads, but you have a lot of those in the ads page all getting "bombarded" with thousands of hits everyday.

All zander has at ConstantBux is banners for promoting the site on other places. I find it hard to believe that something that held up fine until now would suddenly fail. Unless a whole bunch of people started promoting a bunch of banners at the same time. Considering this started on the 27th, it would be one heck of a combined operation.
Instead of removing all banners, maybe you should look into the bigger files and remove just those (the splash pages and maybe one animated banner).

IP Logged

zanderpm

I love being here!

Reply #290 - 30th Dec, 2013 at 9:53pm

All good ideas.  I'll go ahead and start uploading banners to image shack, so that they're there.  Bushost can't tell me where my bandwidth is going, so that's not helpful.  I really think this is just an attack.  We'll see what happens over the next few hours.

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #291 - 2nd Jan, 2014 at 12:48pm

Nice to see the new memberships implemented. Things seem balanced enough.

Just a few comments. Right now, all the ads running are only available to standard/super/elite. If people upgrade to either of the new memberships, they won't have any ads to click.

Regarding the clicker membership. Since it depends of the users own clicks to cover the cost of the membership, you're going to have to make it atractive by actually providing more ads to click. If it costs $1/month, this means a user must earn $0.033 per day to be able to pay it. I'm pretty sure advertisers aren't going to storm instantly, which means that right now it's not profitable for anybody to get Clicker membership.
In order to attract people to this new membership, my suggestion is to sponsor some ads targeted exclusively for those members. At the very least, you should provide around $0.03 worth of ads available only for clicker members, in order for their profits not to be inferior to a standard member. Since it's a paid membership, it's not like it represents a big loss for you, since what you spend on those ads they pay in the membership. Plus, it's even possible that some of them might miss a couple of days due to various reasons.

As more advertisers show up, you can start removing some of those ads, keeping in mind to never let their daily earnings go below a threshold that makes clicker membership unprofitable.

Regarding the ad pricing structure. I've been meaning to ask you this for a while, but haven't you considered making small packs slighlty more expensive, while applying discounts for big purchases?
That's a strategy commonly found in PTCsites, and I believe it's best for you if you're able to attract advertisers who buy in bulk, since that way they buy ads that last longer. This helps keeping a stable number of ads available for members to click everyday.
« Last Edit: 2nd Jan, 2014 at 1:04pm by ruicarlov »  

IP Logged

zanderpm

I love being here!

Reply #292 - 2nd Jan, 2014 at 10:31pm

Good point.  I moved some stuff around so that the payout is about at that point.  I'll probably add a couple more in the near future, and hopefully some people will start buying some advertising soon too. 

And I have had ads priced according to how large the packages are in the past.  Right now, I'm just trying to get somebody to buy something.  Once people start buying stuff, I'll probably try to come up a little with the smaller packs, and down a little with the bigger ones.

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #293 - 3rd Jan, 2014 at 5:07pm

Seems like the bandwidth problems continue. Honestly, I didn't think banners would be the answer, but I hoped I was wrong.

IP Logged

zanderpm

I love being here!

Reply #294 - 3rd Jan, 2014 at 7:57pm

Yea, I was hoping that would fix it, but obviously it didn't.  Buxhost has set up a thing, so we'll see if anything comes from that.

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #295 - 4th Jan, 2014 at 3:16pm

Looks like it is an attack yeah.
Regarding the banners on my ads page they're not costing me anything regarding my bandwidth.

Basically the bandwidth cost goes to the domain hosting the banner. So my own cost is the size of the text including the link.. etc if a link is 100 chars long all.16 banners cost me 1.6 KB per load or 1.6 MB per thousand views. Right now all my images including the small buttons at the bottom are hosted at imageshack allowing me to drive practically unlimited traffic to my site. The ads page is just plain text in terms of bandwith.

However if buxhost charge you with your banners bandwith it's pretty easy to get it up to GBs..
An animated banner easily reaches 500KBs. That is 500MBs per 1000 loads/views. So if someone advertises on a site that delivers 10000 views/day the bandwith cost is 5GB.. If more than one people advetrises that banner it takes only 10 people. (Or 10 different campaigns) to reach 50GB in one day..

Btw, doesn't buxhost offer ddos attack protection?

IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #296 - 4th Jan, 2014 at 3:21pm

lolwut   Smiley

Does this have anything to do with what Buxhost has set up?

IP Logged

zanderpm

I love being here!

Reply #297 - 4th Jan, 2014 at 10:12pm

Actually, BuxHost does have DDOS protection.  Thanks for pointing that out.  That'll be another good weapon when I have to be mean to get things from them.

As for the monkey, that was something I was using to get the banner system moved over.  Long story, not really relevant, but the bottom line is I took it down.  I kind of like it though.  Maybe I should have left it?

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #298 - 9th Jan, 2014 at 2:23pm

OMG! I missed that?!? Smiley

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #299 - 11th Jan, 2014 at 2:10pm

I think the renting prices for the new memberships is a bit way too expensive and I'd recommend the following adjustments in order for members to actually do purchases. For example $0.50 is a "no way" for the number of ads this site provides.. Here's what I suggest :

Standard (no cost)
Renting : $0.50 -> $0.20
Extending : $0.70 -> $0.25
Recycling : $0.25 -> $0.10

Clicker (costs $1/month)
Renting : $0.50 -> $0.20
Extending : $0.70 -> $0.25
Recycling : $0.25 -> $0.10

Promoter (costs $3/month)
Renting : $0.50 -> $0.17
Extending : $0.70 -> $0.20
Recycling : $0.25 -> $0.05

Awesome (costs $5/month)
Renting : $0.50 -> $0.15
Extending : $0.70 -> $0.17
Recycling : $0.25 -> $0.05

Super (costs $7/month)
Renting : $0.15 -> $0.10
Extending : $0.20 -> $0.13
Recycling : $0.05 -> $0.03

Epic(no change) (costs $10/month)
Renting : $0.05
Extending : $0.10
Recycling : $0.01

I believe this way the system would be more balanced and would motivate members to start climbing the upgrade ladder..
Besides remember that your earnings from rented referrals are pure profit so don't be afraid to have competitive prices based on the market standards. It's what make people notice you and will help with increasing your site's income.  Smiley

Edited:
Btw, I decided to offer a free clicker membership upgrade to my best clickers.. zander could you please check out my support ticket?

Also I've placed 2 extended ads available to the clicker type only in order to motivate members to try it. Please approve them soon.
I'll be advertising YouGetProfit and PTCSolution there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print