Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another cool app (Read 5356 times)
moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Another cool app
23rd Mar, 2013 at 1:03am

Have you seen those dash cams that the Russians like to use because it is almost impossible to prove you were in the right of way in an accident without evidence.

They are becoming popular there and many of them put videos of crashes etc on youtube. It is a growing sub category there.

Well now there is an app that will duplicate the dash cam's features without having to shell out hundreds of dollars for the actual cam.

This is great. I was going to get one just in case but I didn't want to spend the money. I looked for an app and of course someone has come up with one.

Here it is:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/car-camera-dvr/id557827515?mt=8

There is also a lite version that is free that does the basics. This is cool. Now I just need to figure a way to put my smart phone on the window or dash in order to record the traffic in front of me

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Re: Another cool app
Reply #1 - 23rd Mar, 2013 at 11:19pm

Well, that would definitely help if it's not clear who was to blame.
However you should make sure you are under no violation of any public recording law.
In some countries it's forbidden to film anyone without his permission so any irrelevant faces,
car plates etc should be removed before public playback..

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #2 - 24th Mar, 2013 at 12:40am

SolidSnake wrote on 23rd Mar, 2013 at 11:19pm:
Well, that would definitely help if it's not clear who was to blame.
However you should make sure you are under no violation of any public recording law.
In some countries it's forbidden to film anyone without his permission so any irrelevant faces,
car plates etc should be removed before public playback..

Yes, I could understand that on youtube. I'm surprised more aren't taken off.

I'm not sure it would count in a court of law. I don't think you would have to worry about covering faces and licenses there but I'm not sure.

I do see signs every once in a while asking if anyone witnessed an accident on a certain time/date. I guess it is hard to prove who ran the red light if there are no witnesses. Of course the person in the wrong is going to do everything in their power to say they were not to blame and this use of technology could go a long way to proving the case.

The first time I was introduced to the technology was here. This proves the effectiveness of it:

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #3 - 24th Mar, 2013 at 8:20pm

What a lunatic.. I wonder why the owner of the video didn't drive directly to a police station when the attacks initially started..
Not sure if he was able with that idiot ramming his car though..

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #4 - 25th Mar, 2013 at 5:03pm

I tested the app on my way to work and back home and it works fantastic!  Smiley

I didn't need any sort of contraption to hold my Iphone in place. I just took two rubber bands and strapped the thing to my rear view mirror. It worked pretty well but I couldn't see out the mirror.

Then I put the rubber bands on the visor and that worked just as well.

Then coming home, since I have a rubber protective casing on the phone I was able to wedge the phone between the dash and my windshield and it stayed in place for the whole trip so that is what I'm going to do with it.

That said, the app itself works great with an Iphone 4s. I'm very happy that I was able to save a few hundred dollars. That helps the phone pay for itself  Smiley

David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print