Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Started learning PHP (Read 2621 times)
moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Started learning PHP
14th Apr, 2022 at 2:37am

It's easier than I thought. Very similar to HTML (and works in conjunction with it) so I should be able to pick it up. It will come in handy if I ever get a website off the ground.

Now that this has become a hobby downgraded from a business, I might do that to keep busy. I've found myself with a lot of spare time lately so I'm going to 'learn to code' as the joke goes  Grin

I always feared to be an admin but it just goes to show there is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Trivia: 80% of all websites run on PHP.

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Re: Started learning PHP
Reply #1 - 15th Apr, 2022 at 1:09pm

Now that's interesting!  Cool New

It is relatively simple to start compared to others, and it will probably be easy to track errors as well.
(By enabling error_reporting it tells you the exact file/line an error occurs in, so make sure you check that up)

The best part of is that even though it starts very simple, you can grow it to be very well structured and build upon app upon app..

Once you get past the basics of how variables, arrays and objects work, you can start building basic reusable functions that will help you build small apps in no time!

Let me know if you need help or hints with anything, I'd be glad to help!  Smiley

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #2 - 15th Apr, 2022 at 11:42pm

SolidSnake wrote on 15th Apr, 2022 at 1:09pm:
Now that's interesting!  Cool New

It is relatively simple to start compared to others, and it will probably be easy to track errors as well.
(By enabling error_reporting it tells you the exact file/line an error occurs in, so make sure you check that up)

The best part of is that even though it starts very simple, you can grow it to be very well structured and build upon app upon app..

Once you get past the basics of how variables, arrays and objects work, you can start building basic reusable functions that will help you build small apps in no time!

Let me know if you need help or hints with anything, I'd be glad to help!  Smiley

Thanks for your support and that tip. You've always been good to us in that way

David

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #3 - 18th Apr, 2022 at 2:15pm

Welcome to the club moneymarketing! Smiley

Like you said:

Quote:
Very similar to HTML (and works in conjunction with it)

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #4 - 19th Apr, 2022 at 2:30am

dansbanners wrote on 18th Apr, 2022 at 2:15pm:
Welcome to the club moneymarketing! Smiley

Like you said:

I guess you learned your via your site  Smiley

David

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #5 - 19th Apr, 2022 at 2:11pm

moneymarketing wrote on 19th Apr, 2022 at 2:30am:
I guess you learned your via your site  Smiley

Yes. For a while there, my site was actually a wordpress site. That's where I learned some php, etc.

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #6 - 22nd Apr, 2022 at 3:32am

Well, I feel my brain growing.  Grin

This is relatively easy to pick up and some of it is actually sticking in my old brain. I've heard hobbies are good for your cognitive abilities and I think it is the case with programming.

David

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #7 - 22nd Apr, 2022 at 5:26am

moneymarketing wrote on 22nd Apr, 2022 at 3:32am:
Well, I feel my brain growing.  Grin

This is relatively easy to pick up and some of it is actually sticking in my old brain. I've heard hobbies are good for your cognitive abilities and I think it is the case with programming.

After all you can still teach an old dog new tricks... Grin

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #8 - 25th Apr, 2022 at 11:36pm

moneymarketing wrote on 22nd Apr, 2022 at 3:32am:
I've heard hobbies are good for your cognitive abilities and I think it is the case with programming.

When it comes to programming, it actually doesn't work otherwise.. it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing..

You won't do much unless you actually like what you do.. and that's the only way it gets inspiring. Smiley

Also the fact that there are multiple ways to get something done, builds upon this even more.. ^

If you like something you've created, you will feel inspired to improve it as you go! Smiley

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #9 - 26th Apr, 2022 at 2:27am

SolidSnake wrote on 25th Apr, 2022 at 11:36pm:
When it comes to programming, it actually doesn't work otherwise.. it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing..

You won't do much unless you actually like what you do.. and that's the only way it gets inspiring. Smiley

Also the fact that there are multiple ways to get something done, builds upon this even more.. ^

If you like something you've created, you will feel inspired to improve it as you go! Smiley

There is an old saying:

Do what you love and the money will follow.

I like it because it is logical and black and white. There is no grey zone. As you say it either works or the page shows tornado damage.  Grin

I also see what you say about multiple pathways. I assume some are better at saving resources than others. This gives your creativity a challenge. So that appeals to me also.

I think overall I am very inclined to coding though there is a lot to learn in the math and creation of formulas area. I am enjoying it, though. Learning terms and the syntax rules is probably the hardest part at this point.

Brain still expanding  Cheesy

David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print