Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Uploading Images? (Read 27213 times)
dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Re: Uploading Images?
Reply #15 - 10th Oct, 2016 at 12:55pm

The images were loading fine from where I was. Good luck with ipfs anyway.

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

I'm impossible to forget,
but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #16 - 10th Oct, 2016 at 7:39pm

I've just replaced PTCBox.Me Ads buttons and banners with images stored in ipfs and I'm kinda shocked by the loading difference. Smiley
It seems imgur was almost slowing me down..lol

But to make the post more review like, here are some things to note about ipfs.pics based on my experience with it:
  • It doesn't offer some kind of management for our links so it's simply an annonymous fire and forget system, and in case you do forget, you probably won't be able to find your images ever again..  Grin
  • There are no registrations, nor associations with an account of some sort (so you don't have to sign up to use it)
  • Also there are no privacy settings so that's not appropriate for private images storing (not my kind of use though).
  • There's no way of searching in images, apart from picking a random uploaded image.
  • The site does not automatically generate the direct image link in a copy-able field.
    You can fix it yourself from:
    https://ipfs.pics/QmV3JVY4PuN1un5UmapEuSS9fW1EUw1jbc9KLa4q6P577f
    to
    https://ipfs.pics/ipfs/QmV3JVY4PuN1un5UmapEuSS9fW1EUw1jbc9KLa4q6P577f
  • It also doesn't provide forum friendly links
  • It's fast, really really fast, so it will help with improving SEO, Google/Alexa ranking and advertising value when it loads within a PTC frame.
  • It supports uploading directly from a URL, so it was relatively easy for me to transfer my images directly from imgur to it.
  • It can't be used in cases where specific image extensions are only allowed (the url to ipfs images have no image extension).
It's not a positive vs negative list because it depends on what one needs image hosting for.
« Last Edit: 10th Oct, 2016 at 10:47pm by SolidSnake »  
IP Logged

ruicarlov
VIP Member

PTCMan! The doodle superhero
of the PTC world!

Portugal
Reply #17 - 11th Oct, 2016 at 12:52pm

Thanks for the review. I'll keep that in mind.

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #18 - 11th Oct, 2016 at 2:25pm

ruicarlov wrote on 11th Oct, 2016 at 12:52pm:
Thanks for the review. I'll keep that in mind.

A downer is also that I can't use the ipfs.pics hosted images here in the forum using the img tag because it does require an extension.. Sad

I'm now also checking Steemimg.com for forums use..
That one works with signing up though, so I tried to sign up but the confirmation email never reached my hotmail.com email..
So, I've contacted them in order to change that (and keep my valuable "SolidSnake" username there as well)..

I may come back with another review though.. Smiley

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #19 - 11th Oct, 2016 at 10:47pm

I think I figured it out how to use imgur on our forum without getting the images blocked..

We just need to make the image linkable to their site..

I checked my FamilyClix payment proofs and they seem to work now which is cool cause I don't have to search and change anything..  Smiley

I still do have to update them all just don't have to host them elsewhere so it's almost ok.

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #20 - 12th Oct, 2016 at 1:09am

Naa.. imgur is still not working properly.. I need to load the images on their domain before they are usable here again.. kind of a pain..

But I've figured another fire and forget alternative that doesn't need registration (though it's supported) and works with forums.

They promise to keep our hosted images until we get to delete them ourselves..

https://imgsafe.org/

It doesn't state any terms of service apart from "No illegal images. You will be reported to the authorities."

I think that's ok! Smiley

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #21 - 19th Oct, 2016 at 6:18pm

It seems ipfs.pics has given up on me too soon.. lol

A few days after I started using it, it started pointing up an error that too many images have been uploaded the past hour so the servers need to cool down and I should come back later..

Then some more days later the images stopped loading and I still can't upload any more to them..

I wonder if there's some kind of conspiracy around this.. somebody watching over me and killing my access to the programs I decide to use after much researching.. lol

Anyways, I've sticked to imgsafe that is more forum-friendly and the addresses are much shorter.
Not sure for how long though.. that's up to YOU little man behind the monitors.. yes YOU!  Angry Smiley

IP Logged

moneymarketing
Sub Moderator

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #22 - 19th Oct, 2016 at 7:07pm

SolidSnake wrote on 19th Oct, 2016 at 6:18pm:
It seems ipfs.pics has given up on me too soon.. lol

A few days after I started using it, it started pointing up an error that too many images have been uploaded the past hour so the servers need to cool down and I should come back later..

Then some more days later the images stopped loading and I still can't upload any more to them..

I wonder if there's some kind of conspiracy around this.. somebody watching over me and killing my access to the programs I decide to use after much researching.. lol

Anyways, I've sticked to imgsafe that is more forum-friendly and the addresses are much shorter.
Not sure for how long though.. that's up to YOU little man behind the monitors.. yes YOU!  Angry Smiley

if all these sites are quitting the image game there could be an opportunity there. How many people have started a site to serve the PTC industry and turned it into a legitimate business  Money Cool

Like how about a site that serves 10 images free and then the eleventh or 1 out of 20 or even 1 out of 50 serves a site banner and link in its place. Could you program for that?

David

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #23 - 20th Oct, 2016 at 3:50am

The problem is that running an actual image hosting server has extreme costs (both setup and maintenance) which is why most of the free sites have changed their terms (imageshack, imgur..) and many others give up too..

Generally any type of file sharing server has extreme costs plus there are many legal issues regarding copyrights where things can go very wrong.. which I guess is why not many people decide to follow that path..

IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #24 - 22nd Sep, 2017 at 3:04pm

I've just stumbled upon another interesting Image Hosting site:

http://imgbb.com/

(it is the one rotate4all is using to host their promotional banners)

The most interesting part of it is that they offer scripts to embed the image uploading process in other websites, so I'll give it a try with some of my clients' sites and my own as well.

IP Logged

oldbuddy
Recruit Member

Old Retiree

Portland, Oregon USA
Reply #25 - 22nd Jun, 2021 at 10:23pm

I use a $1 a month hosting account at AngryHosting.com and post images I want to use anywhere online. At that price for 10Gb transfer a month it meets most of my needs and I have full control over it.

WWW oldbuddy70 https://facebook.com/oldbuddy70  
IP Logged

SolidSnake
Forum Administrator

but I'm hard to remember

Center of the Universe
Reply #26 - 24th Jun, 2021 at 12:17pm

oldbuddy wrote on 22nd Jun, 2021 at 10:23pm:
I use a $1 a month hosting account at AngryHosting.com and post images I want to use anywhere online. At that price for 10Gb transfer a month it meets most of my needs and I have full control over it.

Thanks for sharing this, oldbuddy!

I noticed the $1/month package only allows up to 1GB storage but that's plenty enough for an average marketer, and they also offer fair priced upgrades too.

IP Logged

dansbanners
VIP Member

I love being here!

Reply #27 - 6th Sep, 2021 at 7:01pm

oldbuddy wrote on 22nd Jun, 2021 at 10:23pm:

Where are they located at? I feel that their website doesn't provide enough information not even in their about us page. And also not leaving their phone number not that I'd automatically use it but that option should at least be there as a backup in case.

I also noticed that some of their info seems to be a bit outdated, not even updating the copyright year since 2015 (i.e. I mean how hard could that be?), it's been a while they wrote a blog, etc.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print